Thursday, January 26, 2012

Red Thread Sessions | Giving Back

You may have noticed a couple of new icons at the bottom of my page.  One is the icon for OpLove, an organization providing free photography sessions for military families going through deployments that I have been a part of for several months now.  The second is for Red Thread Sessions, an up-and-coming non-profit introduced to me by the wonderful Carolyn Spranger.  Red Thread Sessions is a free session program, geared toward families who have or will adopt children.  They cover the biological mother's birth, a child coming home to his/her new family, or a family session with the new son or daughter (or both, in the case of twins!).

When I announced to my husband that I would be signing up for another non-profit, I did not quite get the, "Yeah, go for it!" reaction that I was looking for.  Instead, I got a quizzical stare and an "Okay?"  I knew what that "okay" really meant.  It meant "why?".

I can't really explain what drew me to Red Thread Sessions.  I am not typically a child photographer and I am not adopted and/or related to anyone who has or is currently looking to adopt.  But, the more I look at the photographs of children in the arms of their parents for the first time, or happily playing with their new siblings, the more I think of what drew me to OpLove.  What drew me to photography at all, really.  It is (as cheesy as it may sound!) the thrill of capturing for others the moments that take your breath away, of creating memories that will be framed, displayed in a beautiful album, or stored away for future generations to relive the milestones of those that came before them.  Welcoming a child into one's life, loving them, providing them with a stable home and a promising future, this is certainly worthy of being immortalized.

If you are in the Central Texas area, have adopted within the last 3 months or will soon be welcoming a new member of your family, and are interested in booking a session, I would love to work with you!  If you are not local to MMU Photography, there are several fantastic photographers who are volunteers for Red Thread Sessions all over the country.  You can find a directory of them here.  If you are a photographer who is interested in participating, you can find more information here.

~Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment