Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Published!! | Featured | El Paso, Fort Bliss Portrait Photographer

Submitting to publications is a nerve-wracking endeavor.  Whether it is for a blog feature or a chance to be printed in a magazine, there is always a degree of vulnerability when it comes to presenting your work to others in an effort to be deemed worthy.  I am not inherently competitive, and generally modest about my work, so submitting to publications has never really been a priority for me.

But something about picking up the camera and producing artwork for myself, simply for the creation of something beautiful and magical, made something change about the way I looked at my work.  Here I was, hoarding dozens of images from a session that I had poured my heart and soul into on an external hard drive.  It didn't make sense.  Why was I creating art only to cram it into a black box and show mere glimpses of it to the world?  So I did something I had never had the courage to do: Push back my sense of modesty and relay, instead, my confidence in my worth.  I submitted a series of images to Essere, a small creative photography publication based in Virginia.  I never expected to hear back.

About an hour later, I received an e-mail stating that they wanted to include my series in their May issue.

I had to read it several times to make very extra sure that I had seen it correctly.  And then I got excited.  Very, very, very excited.  But I am a somewhat superstitious person, and did not want to jinx it.  Instead of announcing it right away, I resolved to keep it fairly quiet (with the exception of disclosure to a few good friends and family).

Until I received a beautiful copy in the mail today, that is.  I just cannot keep silent anymore.  I am simply thrilled at the prospect of having three full spreads in a printed magazine!  I do not desire fame or fortune in the grand scheme of things.  Still, it is pretty darn cool to see my work amongst some seriously amazing talent.  I am honored to have been included. 

You can purchase a copy of the May 2013 or other issues of Essere magazine here.

2013-05-01_0001 2013-05-01_0002

No comments:

Post a Comment