Thursday, February 24, 2011

Texas Winter Is Unkind To Aspiring Photographers

A few days ago, we had gorgeous weather. It was bright, warm, inviting, all the components of a perfect day. Unfortunately, errands hindered my desire to drive around in search of subjects to photograph. As I type this, rain is pouring from a vast gray sky, turning the soil beneath the hard brown grass into a soupy muck that I will inevitably have to mop up in the wake of our hapless dogs. Such is the unpredictable nature of Texas winter. It discourages potential clients from setting up sessions, as there is no telling if there will be a sudden cold front bringing icy wind and sleet or a lovely, balmy, breezy 80-degree evening that yields much more desirable photographic results. Without sessions, it is difficult to build a portfolio, and without a portfolio it is difficult to book sessions. It's a Catch-22.

Despite the uncooperative weather, I realize it is in my best interest to post samples of my work. While I wait for Spring, I will be doing small projects to pass the time. You can also follow my Project 365 here. Hopefully, there will soon be some session sneak-peeks in the midst of the I Heart Faces' Fix-It-Fridays and Photo Challenges!

No comments:

Post a Comment